Friday, April 17, 2009

Gay marriage


via videosift.com


This morning, a McCain campaign architect stated that the GOP should back gay marriage. 

After Prop 8 hit me (it took a few weeks for it to sink in), I didn't think I'd get over the hurt. This isn't one of those big abstract issues - this is truly something that affects me and many of the people I know. There's been a girl in my life that I could see myself marrying, when I'm old enough. 52% of my state thinks that I shouldn't be able to. To wake up in the morning in a hotel in San Francisco, turn on the news and learn that Iowa had legalized gay marriage was the best antidepressant I could've hoped for. 
Keep your fingers crossed that the CA Supreme Court will back it's original decision. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm on the same page on this. However, I feel personally that the term 'marriage' should be stricken from our constitution and left for religions to decide on their private terminology. The state/fed should only concern itself with the legal union of two people in one household for tax purposes. Leave us be!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a fair point, Jim, and I am in favor of it happening. Eventually.
    But I don't want that to be a reaction to gay marriage, which is what it currently is. I want gay marriage to be legal before anyone starts talking about what you're talking about. It feels insulting, for reasons I can't quite express. Like we're still not good enough for their institution.

    ReplyDelete